Thursday, May 11, 2006

Bo Outlaw - Jay class of '89


Bo Outlaw, Jay class of '89, played in the NBA for 15 years, most recently with the Orlando Magic. Bo did it the hard way, going to junior college before UH, then playing pro ball in Spain and the CBA before making the NBA. Bo was well-respected and highly-regarded as THE BEST hustler in the entire NBA. Bo's hustle enabled him to earn over $35 million playing for the Clippers, Suns, Grizzlies, and Magic. Career highlights included a triple double one unbelievable game and also a 29 point scoring explosion one magical night vs Dallas.

Bo is the perfect example of how hard work and a never-say-die attitude can bring great success. Since Bo used to be extremely lean and not particularly tall, he almost got cut from the basketball team his freshman and sophomore year of high school. Charles "Bo" Outlaw quickly grew over a half a foot in high school and outworked his teammates and competitors. Bo and the Jay basketball team dominated the competition. His senior year, Bo led Jay to a 38-0 record before losing to Clear Lake in the 5A state championship game.

With the help of Coach Floyd's comic relief, Bo had his Mustang jersey retired in 2002, the same year Jay brought home it's first state basketball title.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8/13/2007 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog Kenny. My name is Terry Rhoden. Bo and I have been best friends since seventh grade at Anson Jones Middle School. I have often wondered about many of the people you profiled here. I knew Shannon Marquez very well. I spoke to her a couple of years ago, while she was teaching in Iowa. She told me everything you have written here. Pretty smart lady, huh? It's really nice to hear that Jeff Simpson is doing so well. Although, I am a couple of years younger than he is, I always looked up to Jeff in the hallways of John Jay. His quiet leadership always impressed me. After looking at the picture of Tony Smith, he seems so small to me now. Funny. I thought he was the biggest fastest guy in the world, when I was a freshman. I think every football player in the world wears gloves now because of him. I remember watching you guys play football as a freshman, and wanting some of those gloves. It seems you have turned out to be almost everything I thought you would be professionally. Although, I always thought you would run for public office. You should really think about it. You always had great charisma. Take care Kenny.

 
At 3/01/2008 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kenny, what a neat find your blog has been! I graduated with Bo in '89. I was just telling my sons about him. My oldest son, who is is 6"7 and plays basketball, has hopes to play ball professionally some day and i bragged to him that I knew a professional basketball player...i got extra bonus point for recalling cheering at basketball games when we played against Sam Houston and you guys played against Shaq! Who knew then eh? Bo was a such super sweet guy. I remember running into him after his first year of community college and giving him a hard time about the stretch marks on his biceps from the weight training. He laughed and teased that now he was now finally taller than me. That was our running joke through although for a while i did have em there.

 
At 9/16/2015 8:24 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I graduated with Bo also in 1989 from Jay. I had him for a couple of classes and he was very nice and he was funny! I really enjoyed being his friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home